Friday, July 07, 2006

Edo-Tokyo Museum, still p121 of your LP

Well, today I went to the Edo-Tokyo museum in Ryogoku, even though I don't like museums. Luckily there isn't that much to talk about. It was all about the Edo period (1603-1857) moving into the Tokyo period. Edo's a major city in Japan, better known nowadays as Tokyo :P. Anyway, there was talk about fires, bakufu, daimyo, shogun, Commander Perry (the US dude who came to Japan in 1853 and opened up Japan to Western relations), and the war (WWII) waged on Tokyo. A really surprising fact: before the war, there were 7 million people in Tokyo. After the war ravaged the entire city, there were 2.4 million left. Anyway, have a look at some photos; there were lots of impressive small-scale models, of which the photos don't really do justice to unfortunately. Blame the lighting.











As I left the museum, kinda exhausted I was thinking: this is crazy. All I've seen is concrete jungle. Ryogoku is very much concrete except for a few excellent parks. These kinda saved the day for me; I think I really like nature stuff, much more than concrete buildings... Anyway, one of the parks, Yasuda park was probably one of the quietest and most secluded areas I've ever been to. In Japan, that's a notable thing. Oh and I also 'accidentally' snuck into a highschool I think, Yasuda highschool, which was right outside this other park, Tokyo Metropolitan Yokoamicho Park. Photos.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home