Monday, March 20, 2006

Orientation







Today was orientation day, starting at 1:30 in Shinjuku.
Travelling to Shinjuku requires me to take one train to Shibuya, and then another train to Shinjuku. It took around an hour from the time I left my house, to the time I arrived in front of the NS building where Nova was (23rd floor).

Shinjuku is a very busy place, regardless of the time it seems. One of the main roads I travelled down to get to the NS building is filled with lots of shops on each side, I remember seeing a "The Suit Company" shop, where the shirts were pretty cheap, around 5000Y but I don't know if they're any good or not. But in my mind, shirts are shirts. There was also a Yamaha building, though I didn't get the chance to go into.

Orientation was pretty dull except for the fact that I got to meet up with Amy (New Zealander) and Laura (Aussie), the two girls I met in the airport when I first arrived. There was another guy named Travis, who's from Perth, but had been staying in Japan for 3 months already before deciding to seek employment with Nova. Anyway, that was it: 4 of us for orientation. Apparently we were one of the smallest groups EVER, according to the staff conducting the orientation. My roommate's orientation was around 40 people, so this was a vastly different dynamic.

So I've finally found out my timetable and where I'll be working for the rest of the year most likely. What sucks is that out of 5 days, I've got three 10am starts. Simon (roommate) has one early start. Considering that you working people back home all start at 9am everyday or earlier, I don't have much to complain about, hehehe! But given my options, I could have started late everyday! I'm gonna have to get used to waking up early, darn it. My week starts on a Saturday, and ends on a Wednesday, with Thursdays and Fridays off. I'm gonna have to see about changing to a Sunday, so I can actually go to church, but I don't know how easy that's gonna be yet.

The photos you see, the ones in the daytime are of Shinjuku. There's two with a really nice building/s design, which are the Tokyo Government Building NO. 2 (closer) and No. 1. These were right next to the NS building, so I took the opportunity to take some photos. But I feel so conscious, like a TOURIST! Sticking out like a sore thumb. The other photos in the late evening are of Shibuya, just outside one of the main station exits. There's a massive junction filled with tons of cars and people crossing, and some fairly high buildings with giant TV screens advertising stuff. All very cool.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home