Sunday, March 19, 2006

The cubicle







First day I went out by myself.

Firstly i went to the payphone by the local Lawson's to try and call mum. Totally forgot it was a Sunday and called the RMIT office. No answer, of course. Then I decided since I'm at the payphone, just give my brother a ring. And coincidentally he happens to be at Fungus! Where everybody screams something while I talk through the speaker phone...crazy but cool. Reminded me of everyone back home, made me feel a little sad I was here all by my lonesome self, but that's cool. On to business.

There was no agenda for the day, except looking for a phone. I travelled to Yokohama, where apparently the Vodafone shop there had people who spoke English. Seriously, its actually pretty hard to find your way around the train stations, particularly at busy ones like Yokohama, which is seriously quite large. All the different exits and stuff not to mention the tons of people, and signs in Japanese all add up to make it a confusing experience, especially by myself. Anyway, I made it to this underground shopping centre which is probably integrated into the station, but I walked outside then in, called "the Diamond", tons of stores everywhere...its massive, anyway I made a beeline for the Vodafone shop.

MEt a lady who could speak English (awesome) and got to looking at plans and stuff. The cheapest way for me seems to be signing to a 2year contract, and the lowest plan is like 3,500Y, about $44/month, sucks, I don't really pay anywhere near that much for my phone back home. Oh well...I have to get a phone anyways.

Rest of the day was pretty standard. Got some lunch at the underground supermarket which is almost IN the Yokohama station. Bought what I thought was a jam donut (ended up having some funny bean paste in it, not THAT bad, and not red bean, thank goodness!), a sausage roll (never again), and some fried pork patties (not that good either). THe funny thing about Japan is, its kinda rude to eat while walking or on the move, basically anywhere in public. So I figured I couldn't eat until I went all the way home! About 20 mins out. Anyway, I ended up stuffing up the train system, took a "limited express" train which passed my station, had to catch one back a couple of stops. By then I couldn't be stuffed about cultural etiquette, so I ate those hot fried pork patties in the station.

I went to an internet cafe just before going home from Tsunashima station. That's where I said hi! to Janice, grace/danica/jenny, chara, lauren, and ting. Hey u guys, wonder if you remember! Got some photos of that tiny place. The stall I sat in last time had a PS2 hooked up to the PC as well, how cool. Can play all these funky online games and stuff...for 380Y an hour and an additional 100Y for following hours. NOt that cheap, I think.

This is too long...I'll try to be more concise next time, jaa! (that's supposed to be a casual goodbye)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home