Sunday, April 16, 2006

Easter & Fishing! not

Easter Sunday! And it sucks that I didn't go to church, instead worked from 10-5:30 on 5 hours sleep (which, seriously, is very hard for me). Thankfully this turned out to be a good day like Saturday. Had pretty full classes early in the morning (3 or 4 students each class) but they were chatty which always helps.

Only thing worth mentioning today is I went with Jody (neighbour), Joash (roommate) and Jody's parents (who are visiting) to a restaurant about 15-20 minutes walk from our place. The restaurant was unique in that you could fish for a fish, and get them to cook it for you. Unfortunately, it was exceedingly difficult to get a fish to bite your line. They're so frickin' smart by now, they don't touch anything. I managed to pull one about halfway out of the water because it did bite, but I didn't have a net ready so it fell back in. That was quite disappointing. Ended up just blindly ordering from the Japanese menu; the food turned out ok. The coolest thing was that (ARGH!!!! I really wanted to take a photo...) they served fish up to you still live. Basically I saw a chef preparing a dish. They'd sliced the sides of the fish off the fish, then bent the fish and rammed a chopstick from its end to its neck, so it was bent like a "C". Then they sliced the flesh and arranged it on the plate. The fish was still blinking in shock and trembling. A little bit sickening, but the novelty of the cruelty was appealing, maybe because it was so unique. That's some fresh fish for ya.

Oh ya, for you anime fans, I'm watching Hajime no Ippo right now (Joel, its pretty funny, and awesome too). Haven't encountered a lot of anime here, but I just probably haven't been to the right places.

P.S. My last class today, I had a spider descend from the ceiling onto the table we were sitting around. A nice distraction for my student :)












Sorry some of these photos don't look good, the lighting wasn't the greatest in this place. Because it they're not great, here's a present:
Kid Playing Drum. Unfortunately, when I took out the camera, the boy and sister had stopped arguing about who was allowed to play the drum!

2 Comments:

At 3:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, that place sounds cool, can't wait until i go to Japan.....if i ever do. Lol funny video, you're like telling them to keep fighting.

I'm the first one to comment on your blog!

 
At 3:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awwww.....i'm actually not the first. lol

 

Post a Comment

<< Home